Day 24: I Cry Because I am Selfish

Thursday, March 27th.



So, the day when I returned the company's laptop was the day that Indonesian government announced the first COVID-19 positive case in the country. And that was Monday, March 3rd.

Today is the Day 24 then.

I have practiced social distancing way before people in the country do it. I resigned just before the COVID-19 pandemic with a goal to do my own thing, to start a solo career. It's just the timing was not right, and I did not have prepared well for this to happen. Normally, when a person resign from a position, she will already have another job offer, or if a person resign because he wants to start a business, he will already have some side business going. But that's not me. I resigned without a next job, and without an already running side-business. I wanted to have time to do actualise my business plan and since it was not possible when I was still working, I resigned. And with the virus continues to spread and we are at home, I just have to wait to start my business.

Good thing is that I have some cash to support me through this time. (Yes, savings is important!). I am also still living with my family so I do not have to worry to pay rent and such. But still, with the abundance and comfort that I have, I cried today.

I cried realising that this pandemic will last longer than it should. I cried because then, even to setup a legal company, I will need to wait until the economic stabilised. I cried because, maybe, I should had waited to send my resignation letter. I imagined working from home just like some of my friends do, and still having your paycheck sent every month. And most of all, I cried because I was selfish.

Then again, I realised, there are many people who are impacted by this pandemic. There are many businesses that will suffer and close down due to this pandemic. There are many people who are at risk of losing their job without not knowing what to do. These are people who had worked their entire life working in one area (think travel, tourism industry, etc). This pandemic hits them hard. While me? I am blessed to have not even started, because then I will be responsible for another person's life, if I have any employee at all. I am blessed that I get to spend time with my family. There are many people who are separated from their families due to lockdown. There are many blessings in life, and I think sometimes I did not realise it. Don't forget that there's also things that we can learn in every situation, and gratitude will keep as strong.

Anyway, before ending my today's diary, I am going to include this fact check as a reminder.
This is the recent report from our government officials,

COVID-19 Situation
27 Maret 2020
11:36 WIB
Indonesia
COVID-19 Positive 893
Healed 35
Death 78


Global
Countries 196
Confirmed Case 416,686
Death 18,589

Have a blessed day,
Francisca :)

Comments

Popular Posts